- Around downtown #STL today? Stop by @StLCulinaria and get your @girlscouts #cookies from our #TFS troop cc @cwildsmith 1 day ago
- "Language is an asset, not a liability" leaders.edweek.org/profile/richar… 2 days ago
- "There is no doubt that if you want to follow your dreams, The Spanish School is for you." - 5th grade wisdom #TSS #ImmersionCelebration 2 days ago
- "I want to applaud parents for giving your children one of the greatest gifts - a second language" - @ArleneGalve #immersioncelebration 2 days ago
- RT @BroussardRhonda: "Students do need to wrestle with big ideas, in group discussion and in their own writing." @SLLIS @SLLISTIS http://t… 2 days ago
March 2015 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Dear SLLIS families and staff,
As a result of stakeholder engagement sessions in 2010, SLLIS identified the long-term need to establish a master campus for all of our students and schools K-12. Our vision for creating a permanent home was inspired by parent voice and supported more efficient operations for everyone. Each year SLLIS makes judicious decisions about current space needs and further develops the strategy to establish a master campus.
Our lease on our Pine location expires at the end of this school year and for the next four years, SLLIS will consolidate our schools to two campuses: Papin and Marine. In July 2015, The French School will consolidate at our Marine campus. The Spanish School will continue to operate at our Papin campus. In a commitment to fiscally responsible leadership, SLLIS analyzed all of our facilities cost data to determine the best course of action. Our highest cost lease is $13.25/sq ft at Pine, our lowest cost lease, $3.10/sq ft is at Marine, which has enough space to accommodate The French School students. The cost differential in operating each of our current buildings yields a projected annual savings of $448,766 from our campus consolidation.
Why does campus consolidation matter? Consolidating our campuses from three buildings to two buildings will provide SLLIS with two essential opportunities: 1) saving capital towards our master campus needs and 2) stabilize our operating systems by limiting services to two locations. As we draft the 2015-16 budget, we will also consider reinvesting some of our savings in high priority concerns like nursing services and traffic support at Papin. Please join us for Town Hall meetings on your campus to discuss how the campus consolidation will impact your school experience:
- Pine: Wednesday, March 4th, 5pm in Auditorium
- Marine: Thursday, March 5th, 5pm in TIS Library
- Papin: Thursday, March 12th, 5pm in Profesora Virginia’s Classroom
Rhonda J. Broussard Vincent C. Schoemehl, Jr. Founder & President Interim Board Chair
Public Notice of SLLIS Board of Directors Meeting
Location: 4011 Papin Street in the 1st floor Multi-Purpose Room
Due to the extreme cold and probable bus delays, all SLLIS schools will start 2 hours late on Thursday, February 19 (Pine and Marine will start at 11:00 a.m. and Papin will start at 10:40 a.m. Bus riders should be at their stops exactly 2 hours later than usual (for example: if normal pick up time is 6:35 a.m., be at the stop at 8:35 a.m.).
With the Late Start, Mosaic Before-Care will not be held. We expect p.m. buses and afterschool Mosaic to run at their normal times. All schools will dismiss at their regular times.
We will not serve not breakfast, but cereal will be available.
Your Head of School may send additional information via email this evening.
As a reminder, should an inclement weather announcement such as a school closing or a late start be necessary, we will notify you all via the following outlets:
1) A BrightArrow message will be sent out via phone and email (Be sure to keep your contact information current using MySLLIS online or by emailing Keri.MacArthur@sllis.org)
2) News Channels 2, 5, & 11 (KTVI & KSDK) will post the school announcement on the ticker at the bottom of their station screens
3) Radio station AM 1120, KMOX, will announce the inclement weather status
Time to enjoy a long weekend!
There will be No School on Friday, February 13 for Parent/Teacher Conferences or Monday, February 16 in honor of Presidents’ Day.
We wish you safe and happy Valentine’s Day and Mardi Gras Weekend. If you plan to head to Mardi Gras Festivities, don’t forget to support the SLLIS beverage booth!
The 4th Annual SLLIS Soiree & Silent Auction will take place on Friday, May 15th at Bissinger’s brand new venue, The Caramel Room. This all-SLLIS event brings prospective & current parents, staff & key volunteers together from all of our schools for a night of dinner, dancing and supporting SLLIS. Early Bird Tickets go on sale Monday, March 1st!
Guests at last year’s Soiree
This Week At a Glance:
Tuesday, February 10:
- 8am Enrollment Tour – The French School
- The next Dine Out for SLLIS is Tuesday, February 10th at the St. Louis Bread Company located at 3114 South Grand from 4pm – 8pm. A printed flyer or an electronic version of the flyer on a mobile phone or tablet must be presented when ordering. One printed flyer or electronic flyer per device per person. The donation given will be based on the amount of sales associated with the flyers.
20-30 Flyers: 10% of net sales from redeemed flyers
31-49 flyers: 15% of net sales from redeemed flyers
50+ Flyers: 20% of net sales from redeemed flyers
Wednesday, February 11:
Thursday, February 12:
- 6pm Enrollment Tour of The Chinese School & The International School
Friday, February 13:
- NO SCHOOL – Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Current Student Re-Enrollment ENDS today – please submit your Letter of Intent and two proofs of residence by Friday!
Saturday, February 14:
- Come visit the SLLIS Enrollment Table at the Tower Grove Farmer’s Market from 9am – 1pm.
Looking Ahead in February:
– There is No School on Monday, February 16 (Presidents Day)
- Club SLLIS is available. Registration must be received by Friday, Feb. 6 Club SLLIS Registration February 2015
- Concordia Turners is hosting a SLLIS Playdate: 2 hours of gymnastics, trampoline and obstacle courses just for SLLIS from 10am – 12pm. All non members must have a signed waiver. $7.50 per child
- Trivia Night is Saturday, February 21 – please contact email@example.com if you are interested in attending but missed last week’s deadline.
School- Specific Updates:
The International School Weekly Round-Up:
Last Wednesday, TIS Scholars with sufficient Scholar Dollar balances enjoyed a field trip to see a new film called “I Am 11”. We are also planning a bowling trip (end of 3rd Quarter), and other excursions, including a trip to the History Museum combined with a picnic in Forest Park.
At TIS, we are continually striving to schedule activities that will enrich and extend our in-school, academic work, as well as activities that reward students who consistently meet expectations here at TIS day-in and day-out. We believe and can see that students are taking these expectations seriously and that there are strong efforts underway by students to make positive decisions with more consistency. That doesn’t mean we don’t have room for improvement. Needless to say, though, when teachers, students, and parents can support each other and keep in clear focus our commitment to ensuring our Scholars develop to the fullest of their academic and social potential, we can do big things together.
A few upcoming, TIS Calendar items…
- BJC Connexions (2/19 up through Spring Break)This program will focus students’ attention on how to be aware and stay safe when using social media and interacting online.
- Human Growth & Development (starting March 2/3, and running each Monday for six weeks) These sessions will focus on this very important theme of growing up and developing as a young adult.